Friday, June 03, 2016

Day 2: Johor Bahru and back home

On the second day of our trip, we headed off to our JB office for the next session of our system training. 

Training the Johor Bahru team

We then decided to stay on in the office to catch up on some work before we headed home. It was a good decision because we managed to clear many things before the week was over. 

We went for lunch at 3:00pm to a Japanese restaurant we passed by yesterday evening. The food there is quite authentic and very delicious. 

Warakuya Japanese Garden Restaurant

We then walked over to the La Gourmet Desserts, which was actually why we were there in the first place. We went there last night and loved it so much we wanted to go again. 

La Gourmet Desserts 

La Gourmet Loh - their signature dessert

The Mango Ice Mountain - their most iconic dessert

We did not order the Mango Ice Mountain. It will be too much for two people. But our next table did. It was really huge. You'd wonder how to eat it without it falling all over the place. You don't dig into the tower. The waiter deconstructs it on your table and serves you  individually. 

Durian + Mango Loh - what I ordered yesterday

This was the reason why we returned. My colleague knew what she wanted yesterday and ordered the all-mango dessert. I could not make up my mind and the store manager recommended the Durian + Mango Loh and guaranteed that it's made from pure D24 durian and that I would come back for more. He was right. It was absolutely divine. The durian sauce was delicious but the durian ice cream was out of this world - it tasted more like durian paste than durian ice cream. 

Durian + Mango Loh - what I ordered today

And there I was back for the second time and ordered the same thing. But I felt yesterday's one was better. Well, either it was because it was my first or if you compare both photos, the one yesterday certainly looked better and larger in serving. 

We were soon back on the road heading home but traffic was extremely bad. We had not expected it and had given it no thought when we begin our journey home at about 4:30 in the evening. 

Standstill traffic at the first toll gate out of JB

An hour into our journey, I suddenly noticed that my petrol warning light was lighting up and I could have hit my own head if my hands were not on the steering wheels. In my busyness of leaving, I forgot to go to the petrol station. I was not sure how far the next R&R stop was and so I decided to turn off to Yong Peng. It was the right thing to do. I found out later that the next available stop was almost 40km away and I had only 12km left in the tank. 

After replenishing my fuel, my colleague noticed this Yuan Yean Fishball Eating House across the road. I am not kidding - the restaurant is actually called a "fishball eating house"! It was 7:00pm then and we thought, why not, and the food was actually very good. 

Yuan Yean Fishbal Eating House

And it was another good decision to have dinner then because by the time I got home, it was almost midnight! Traffic was bad especially when we got back to Kuala Lumpur that just had an unexpected bout of heavy rain, strong wind and even hail. 

A seven-hour long journey home. I was exhausted and vowed that we will take the train in our next trip up north. 

Photo source:  

No comments:

Post a Comment